Named after Mr Oswald Pirow, Minister of Defence, 1933-1939. Built in 1938. Its original purpose was as a general transport vehicle in African bush warfare. It was later relegated to smaller tasks in bases and Prisoner of War camps. It was usually drawn by two oxen and its carrying capacity was 450 kg. The cart at the SA Navy Museum was restored by Petty Officer P.H. Maasdorp.
A few interesting references to the Pirow Bush Cart from literature:
Ouma Smuts London  Hurst & Blackett, p.109.
“The last seven of the bush carts ordered for the army by Mr O. Pirow…will be sold at a War Stores Disposal Board auction…More than 200 have already been sold and others are still being used by the U.D.F. for the carting of garbage.” Eastern Province Herald [24 Jan 1948] Port Elizabeth, p.3.
“Non-Europeans would surely ask what prospects of political advancement there would be for them, and fear…that their progress was likely to be even slower than that of Pirow’s famous bush-carts.” A history of Southern Africa 3rd edition [no place] 1957, p.846.